Image Map

9.25.2012

Lebenslangerschicksalsschatz

How I Met Your Mother premiered this week, and on it, the word "Lebenslangerschicksalsschatz" was discussed. This word talks about meeting someone and knowing instantaneously that they are your one. You don't even have to think about it.

Well let me teach you what my baby lizard has taught me about love. I loved him the second I saw him. He was sleeping in a little crack on this log in his cage. I pointed to him when the lady asked which one I wanted, and she said "Are you sure?"

Brian said "Yeah. His tail is better, it's not all fat like the others."

She said "If it's fat, that means they're healthy. This little guy needs some work. Are you sure?"

I nodded.

And he's been one of my best friends ever since. I really didn't like the fat tails before. I thought they were ugly. I also didn't like the spots on them. Aristotle was a lot cuter because he had stripes.

Now he's got a fat little tail on him. And he's entirely spotted. He's almost twice his size as well.

But I love the little guy. I think that's teaching something about love maybe... I don't know what... but...

I know I brag about Stupid a lot. I just really like him.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lebenslangerschicksalsschatz is NOT a german word! although it makes sense in german "liveling destiny sweety/honey/..." it is not a word :D

RC said...

hi..
i saw this episode of himym... and i know how, i came to your blog, and i think is very good... and how you explain the word Lebenslangerschicksalsschatz is awesome!

Anonymous said...

It is for sure not an existing German word at all. There is no such word here in Germany.

Ceranna said...

This article made me laugh a lot, it's just so sweet how you talk about your lizard and I think that's exactly the same with love to a person. You don't have to think, you just feel it..
And it's funny, that people often think more with their heart when choosing an animal than when looking for a love of their life..

Larajeansmith said...

Just because it's not a German word doesn't mean it's not a word. Thank you all for your comments :)

Michael said...

I believe that it's a word NOW in Germany! :D Props for the awesome post!!

Anonymous said...

Ceranna...

You're so right. Thanks for your words!! which were inspired by Lara so thank you too Lara!!

It's a perfect example of Lebenslangerschicksalsschatz and a perfect explanation of it.

Anonymous said...

Just because it's not a German word doesn't mean it's not a word. ???
It kind of does. The concept is a nice thought. Label it in English. There is no such word in the German language.

Unknown said...

I never said it was a German word, in the post. I discussed the "word" that was mentioned on a popular TV episode. And just because it's a not a German word doesn't mean it's not a word is TOTALLY accurate: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/word
I think you'll find several words that Germans use that are not listed in the dictionary, particularly in the media. Everyone makes up words. They're still words.