Image Map

7.08.2013

The One Where I Say YOLO

UUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH I'm on my lunch break and yesterday I was super smart and was like  "I'll upload pictures to my blog now and then save it in a draft so that I can write the blog post at work on my break yay! Efficiency!" Literally, those were words that came out of my mouth.

I should have known that blogger is a crap place to save pictures. I came in, one was missing, I thought I had deleted it on accident, so I did the whole control-z thing (computer talk is cool) and it deleted all the pics and I was all "NOOO!" so I pressed back real quick, but it turns out it had saved it AFTER I deleted so all my pictures were gone, but I still want to write this post, so I'll do pictures later.

The Fourth of July was awesome. It's like any other day in the world, except in America, Northern America, the place with all the United States, we make a big deal about that day. Meaning, we don't have to go to work, and we eat a lot of food, and explode things.

Which is what we did.

We started the morning with a fancy breakfast, went to a parade with friends, cried at the state of the high school bands these days, then went home and ate a ton of otter pops and watched Fringe. Joe and I have been marathoning it, and it's been fun. Marathon is a verb now.

We ran up to Ogden, had a great BBQ with my family, then went to a derby. A demolition derby, or as I like to call it, a destruction derby.

If you don't know what that is, let me give you a quick run down.

First you go to a place with a lot of dust and a lot of people.
Then you sit in some chair things called "stands" and watch a lot of cars lining up on the "field" in front of you.
By this point, you may be wondering what's going on? Don't worry.
Some announcer is counting backwards, adding to the confusion....
The cars are revving their engines...
What's going on?
AND THEN BAM! ALL THE CARS RUN THEMSELVES INTO EACH OTHER WHHHAAAATTTTT.

Epic. Epicly epic.

And they keep crashing into each other until they can't drive anymore.

So that's what a derby is.

And then we watched some fireworks. 

I just remembered that I can access instagram here, so here are some pictures. Not the nice ones from my nice camera, but pictures all the same. Whatever. LIVE WITH IT. Stop being so ungrateful, it's not nice.





While watching the derby, I thought about how nice it was to be there, how much fun I was having. Granted, I did have work the next day, and that put a dampener on things, I mean... who has to work on the 5th of July? They should just give us the entire month of July off. 

I realized that we'd be staying up rather late, and traffic was bound to be a nightmare getting out of there (it was....) and I had to get up early the next morning...

And I realized that I could very easily be sitting at home relaxing that evening. Why was I here? I was losing precious Netflix time, precious sleep time, precious otter pop consuming time, and the line to my own bathroom is less long, and the bathroom is less messy. 

And then I mentally slapped myself across the face. I looked at the smoky dusty trees and saw the sun shining through them and realized what an adventure it was to be there.

I'm not even 21 yet and I started to freak out realizing that I've wasted so much time sitting around my home because I wanted to relax, or because the Netflix couldn't wait to be watched. Joe has gotten me to adventure much more, and I love him for that, but I mourned all the experiences I missed out on. Who knows, maybe they would have been on my top 10 favorite memories, after all... That U2 concert I went to a few years ago that I loved so much, I didn't even want to go. But my dad persuaded me. And I went. And it's one of my favorite memories.

I guess what I'm saying is... YOLO. Nope. Shoot me now. Why did I say that... I TAKE IT BACK.

Carpe Diem.

We only live one life. And as it is, we don't have enough time to do everything in the world. So why waste time holed up in your room? You never know what adventures you'll find until you try.

And who knows, you might like it.

No comments: