Image Map

9.29.2014

Brave and Beautiful

I've got this friend who makes amazing videos. She did one for Joseph and I last year for our anniversary and I'd just LOVE to travel back in time to have her film our wedding day too.


She and her husband recently made a beautiful video calling bloggers, all women and really EVERYONE to think about beauty for a bit.



The premise of it all is to remove your makeup and share it with the world. I don't feel this is in attempts to get women to stop wearing makeup. I like my makeup. It's fun to paint my face in the morning! And I think I look like a high schooler without anything on, and you don't want to look like a high schooler when you're teaching school.

I think the point of the video and the mission of these women is to encourage people to think about beauty, and what beauty is.
To me, taking of makeup is symbolic of taking time to truly think about what makes beauty. The times in my life where I feel most beautiful had nothing to do with what I was wearing or how I looked. It has everything to do with what I was doing that day, how I felt about myself, and whether or not I was happy.  Was I doing what made me happy? Was I trying to be a better person than I was the day before? Was I taking time to be aware of myself, aware enough to know how to best maximize my talents, even if the most I could do that day was make a call to my mom to say hi and then crawl back into bed to take a personal day because the other days had been to much? To me, beauty has come to have nothing to do with how others perceive me but with how I perceive myself, if I'm being true to myself, if I'm doing my very best to be better, if I'm being honest with myself.


What makes me beautiful is teaching, doing what I have such a passion for. What makes me beautiful is spending time with those that I love, who uplift me and care for me as much as I care for them. What makes me beautiful is taking time to stop and look at the world around me and appreciate it for a moment. What makes me beautiful are the unique talents that I posses, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem.

“Do you suppose it matters to our Heavenly Father whether your makeup, clothes, hair, and nails are perfect? Do you think your value to Him changes based on how many followers you have on Instagram or Pinterest? Do you think He wants you to worry or get depressed if someone unfriends or unfollows you on Facebook or Twitter? Do you think outward attractiveness, dress size, or popularity make the slightest difference to the one who created the universe? He loves you, not just for who you are this very day, but for the person of glory and light you have the potential and desire to become.” President Uchtdorf


I challenge you to take your makeup off either literally or metaphorically and look at yourself.  To quote Colbie Caillat, do you like you? Being beautiful is really not so hard as people make it out to be. You'll find that it's far easier than you think. And I think it may help you to see the beauty in others far easier too. It's hard to do. I can't really write about what makes me beautiful but maybe we can change that in the world. Maybe we can recognize the beauty in others quicker and help them see it in themselves too. That's my goal. 

So What Makes YOU Beautiful?


No comments: