Image Map

7.12.2012

Perspective

That awkward moment when you just fall out of the habit of things.

Like playing piano.

Or flute.

Or blogging.

Or reading your Nook.

Though you do read a real book.

And you do write in your private journal.

But no photography.

You just stop doing a lot of stuff that you love to do, and there really isn't any explanation for it, though if I think hard enough, I think I could find a reason. But I'll save the hard thinking for later.

I don't really do photography anymore anyways, that's what I was getting at. And it's something I really loved doing. I liked capturing light, and trying to make what you've captured reflect that moment.

I didn't notice that I didn't do that anymore. Because there's this thing now called Instagram.

Instagram is like Twitter, except for pictures, and it happens on your iPod. I think it's great. I think it's great that people can share pictures of their food with each other. Or pictures of their shoes with each other. Or pictures of their cute outfits with peace signs. I think that's great.

But let me tell you a secret.

Instagram sucks.

There. I said it. It takes crappy pictures. It takes pictures with your dinky little 3mp camera. So it's not like it's high quality anyways. Then people put these settings on them, making them look all artistic and what not. But those settings are ones that people used decades ago! Do people realize there's a reason we don't use cameras that take pictures like that anymore?

It's because they suck.

They don't capture the moment for what you really see. They capture the moment for how you want other people to see it. And if you're trying to portray your life for how you want other people to see it, then who are you? Are you a person that other people want you to be?

Don't get me wrong. I'll be up front right here. I have a cousin named Sarah. Sarah takes the most beautiful pictures on Instagram. Really. These are pictures I actually saved onto my computer, they're incredibly artistic. And I think she's capturing the moments there for how she sees them.

But how about the moments of life that we want to save so we can remember them ourselves? In our own minds? Where you pull up the picture, and the quality is clear, and the lighting is how it really was, and it's untainted by filters.

I really miss that.

And honestly I wonder what it's going to be like 30 years from now when our kids are looking at our pictures and wondering what the crap we were doing using crappy photography when they have the quality of cameras they do these days.

Also I think they'll think the ombre style is ridiculous.

Rant over.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I've kind of fallen out of the habit of Instagram, for that very reason. It sucks.